Monday, May 19, 2008

Cancer Patient Lost Everything / The Power of Social Media







My pal Dr. Miggy e-mailed me this weekend to tell me about a patient at the hospital that lost everything in a fire. She sent out a post on twitter about the chip in page that she created to raise money for the patient.

"Just thought I'd share this with you. I set up a ChipIn page for donations to a patient and his family who recently lost everything in a house fire. What they were able to salvage got stolen out of their car while they were staying in a hotel. I sent out a tweet about it and so far, since about 2 PM, we have collected over $600 to give to the family.

Now, I could be wrong, but I don't think this would have happened if it weren't for twitter. I'm truly overwhelmed by the generosity ofthis group of people."

This for me truly illustrates the power of the social media and the one-to-one connection is creates often times between perfect strangers.


No comments: